Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Common Mistakes (4)

Mr. Teow arrived at the office lately this morning. - INCORRECT SENTENCE
Mr. Teow arrived at the office late this morning. - CORRECT SENTENCE

Joseph did not go to the concert last week, I did not go too.
Joseph did not go to the concert last week, I did not go either.

We have been waiting for half an hour. She has still not come.
We have been waiting for half an hour. She has not come yet.

The hinges of the door had rusted. We had to push hardly to open it.
The hinges of the door had rusted. We had to push hard to open it.

The sea was very rough that the ferry service had to be suspended.
The sea was so rough that the ferry service had to be suspended.

It is unkind of him to ask a little child to do such many things in a day.
It is unkind of him to ask a little child to do so many things in a day.

The three women quarrelled for more than an hour angrily outside the boutique.
The three women quarrelled angrily for more than an hour outside the boutique.

You should describe what has happened detailly.
You should describe what has happened in detail.

I received a letter from my sister two days before.
I received a letter from my sister two days ago.

The driver, as well as four passengers, were injured in the head-on collision.
The driver, as well as four passengers, was injured in the head-on collision.


More than one convict were sentenced to death.
More than one convict was sentenced to death.

One of my students have sent me a birthday card.
One of my students has sent me a birthday card.

Sophie is one of the most intelligent students that has ever existed in our school.
Sophie is one of the most intelligent students that have ever existed in our school.

Reading detective stories are my favorite passtime.
Reading detective stories is my favorite passtime.

" Snow White and the seven Dwarfs " are a very popular fairy tale.
" Snow White and the seven Dwarfs " is a very popular fairy tale.

Five hundred miles are a long distance.
Five hundred miles is a long distance.

Either you or he are the one who stole the watch.
Either you or he is the one who stole the watch.

The quality of these products is more superior than that of the others.
The quality of these products is superior to that of the others.

The living standard in Japan is higher than Korea.
The living standard in Japan is higher than that in Korea.

My younger brother is taller than me.
My younger brother is taller than I.

Which of the two girls is the most intelligent.
Which of the two girls is more intelligent.


The patient felt much better in the morning than afternoon.
The patient felt much better in the morning than in the afternoon.

What we need is the most perfect plan.
What we need is a most perfect plan.

Which of these two shirts do you prefer more.
Which of these two shirts do you prefer.

No sooner had I arrived home when it began to rain.
No sooner had I arrived home than it began to rain.

Mike found it more easier to work out a mathematical problem than to write a poem.
Mike found it easier to work out a mathematical problem than to write a poem.

Charles loves Angel more than Simpson.
Charles loves Angel more than Simpson does.

I saw where my mistakes lay and how to make up for them.
I saw where my mistakes lay and how I could make up for them.

My archrival, Frankie, he scored very high marks in the last test..
Frankie, my archrival, scored very high marks in the last test.

I felt very difficult to deal with this physics problem.
I found it very difficult to deal with this physics problem.

The general meeting is scheduled to be held this afternoon at three.
The general meeting is scheduled to be held at three this afternoon.

She ran into her boyfriend yesterday morning in Fair Avenue..
She ran into her boyfriend in Fair Avenue yesterday morning.


Having not finished her housework, Mrs. Smith could not go window-shopping with her friends.
Not having finished her housework, Mrs. Smith could not go window-shopping with her friends.

All the students are in interested in joining the club.
No student is interested in joining the club.

I do not understand what is he talking about.
I do not understand what he is talking about.

There were three thousands of spectators watching the
final match.
There were three thousand spectators watching the
final match.

I've got many homeworks to do.
I've got a lot of homework to do.

I went shopping at CauseWay Bay yesterday and bought a trousers.
I went shopping at CauseWay Bay yesterday and bought a pair of trousers.

There are more than four million peoples in Singapore..
There are more than four million people in Singapore.

I feel boring.
I feel bored.

Would you give me some advices before I go to the interview.
Would you give me some advice before I go to the interview.

We went fishing last Saturday and John got five fishes.
We went fishing last Saturday and John got five fish.

Typhoon Andrew has caused widespread damages to the crops.
Typhoon Andrew has caused widespread damage to the crops.

Congratulation ! You have passed the driving test at
long last.
Congratulations ! You have passed the driving test at
long last.

I am afraid that this is the dirty mean to gain success.
I am afraid that this is the dirty means to gain success.

Chinese are more conservative than English.
The Chinese are more conservative than the English.

Cow is a useful animal.
The cow is a useful animal.

I have got headache.
I have got a headache.

Comparing with that in Singapore, the living standard in Hong Kong is very high.
Compared with that in Singapore, the living standard in Hong Kong is very high.

Finishing his homework, Walters went to the football pitch with his friends.
After finishing his homework, Walters went to the football pitch with his friends.

Sophia felt embarassing when I asked her how old she was.
Sophia felt embarassed when I asked her how old she was.

It is more hygenic to drink boiling water.
It is more hygenic to drink boiled water.

I have cut my hair at the barber's once a month.
I have my hair cut at he barber's once a month.

I am sorry to have kept you waited.
I am sorry to have kept you waiting.

No comments: