Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Common Mistakes (5)

There is a stranger stand at the door. - INCORRECT SENTENCE
There is a stranger standing at the door. - CORRECT SENTENCE

The robbers run into goldsmith's shop, shouted, " This is a robbery ".
The robbers run into goldsmith's shop, shouting, " This is a robbery ".

Anybody is found picking the flowers will be prosecuted.
Anybody who is found picking the flowers will be prosecuted.

Being no other business, the chairman declared the
meeting closed.
There being no other business, the chairman declared the meeting closed.

Laura has spent half a day to revise his lessons.
Laura has spent half a day revising his lessons.

Finally, Ricky succeeded to enter the University.
Finally, Ricky succeeded in entering the University.

I am used to watch television with the light on.
I am used to watching television with the light on.

After dinner, my mother suggested to go for a walk.
After dinner, my mother suggested going for a walk.

The government is considering the possibility to build a new airport on Lantau island.
The government is considering the possibility of building a new airport on Lantau island.

Would you mind to pass me the salt, please ?
Would you mind to passing me the salt, please ?


I am going to watch the cinema tonight.
I am going to a movie tonight.

My son will marry next month.
My son will get married next month.

My sister is going to marry with a doctor.
My sister is going to marry a doctor.

You can sit my next seat.
You can sit next to me.

I think you cheat me !
I think you are lying to me !

My head is sick.
I have a headache.

Which team you support hah.
Which team do you root for.

This is my older brother.
This is my elder brother.

Thanks to see me.
Thanks for dropping by. ( coming ).

Where are you come from ?
Where do you come from ?

I want to reduce my weight.
I want to lose weight.


Bobby is a black beautiful dog.
Bobby is a beautiful black dog.

We had a lot of difficulty to find the place
We had a lot of difficulty ( in ) finding the place.

Killing the robbers are something the detective would not do.
Killing the robbers is something the detective would not do.

I was difficult to get a good job.
It was difficult to get a good job.

It is capable of getting his work done without help.
He is capable of getting his work done without help.

Rose is capable to cook Indian food
Rose is able to cook Indian food.

My father is busy in his business.
My father is busy with his business.

Sorry, Jane is busy with cleaning up her room.
Sorry, Jane is busy cleaning up her room.

Some people argue that fate is determining everything.
Some people argue that fate determines everything.

Every one of us determines to win this match.
Every one of us is determined to win this match.

This film is worth being watched.
This film is worth watching.

These stamps worth nothing now.
These stamps are worth nothing now.

He looked fearfully because he had seen a ghost.
He looked frightened because he had seen a ghost.

Tom looked angry at me because I had broken his valuable vase.
Tom looked angrily at me because I had broken his valuable vase.

I am no afraid of any threats.
I am not afraid of any threats.

We have not money left.
We have no money left.

Tims was dangerous because his sampan had overturned.
Tims was in danger because his sampan had overturned.

Joanna was painful when her boyfriend left her.
Joanna was in pain when her boyfriend left her.

We are necessary to help the poor in our community.
It is necessary for us to help the poor in our community.

We are not easy to find a good school in Singapore.
It is not easy to find a good school in Singapore.


I have watched some films late.
I have watched some films lately.

I was only late five minutes but Mary was already gone.
I was only five minutes late but Mary was already gone.

Lorna likes the kitten. I like it either
Lorna likes the kitten. I like it too.

Edward never went to a party, so did David.
Edward never went to a party, neither did David.

I will go but I have not finished my homework too.
I will go but I have not finished my homework yet.

She is yet talking on the phone.
She is still talking on the phone.

Michelle is working hardly for the test.
Michelle is working hard for the test.

Veronica is a hard student.
Veronica is a hard-working student

He worked enough hard that he finally became a billionaire.
He worked so hard that he finally became a billionaire.

We have never been to so a nice place.
We have never been to such a nice place.

No comments: