Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Common Mistakes (3)

He got 87 points in chemistry. - INCORRECT SENTENCE
He got an 87 in chemistry. - CORRECT SENTENCE

Chang is a popular name in Taiwan.
Chang is a common name in Taiwan.

I'm a public servant.
I work for the government.

She is pure.
She is naive.

I have a question to you.
I have a question to ask you.

This book deserves to read several times.
This book deserves to be read several times.

I like red tea.
I like black tea.

History repeats.
History repeats itself.

I make a rule of going to bed early and get up early.
I make a rule to keep early hours.

I went to the sea.
I went to the beach.

The door was shut when I returned home.
The door was closed when I returned home.

Shall we sit in that sofa ?
Shall we sit on that sofa ?


This steak is soft.
This steak is tender.

His new book will be sold well.
His new book will sell well.

There're a lot of sparrows stopping on the telephone lines.
There're a lot of sparrows sitting on the telephone lines.

He hit me strongly.
He hit me hard.

My pay cannot support my living.
My pay is not enough to live on.

He wants to establish a sweet home.
He wants to establish a happy home.

Why don't you take a driving license.
Why don't you get a driving license.

Last year I went to Seattle. I liked there very much.
Last year I went to Seattle. I liked it very much.

My mother likes to drink thick tea.
My mother likes her tea strong.

I think it will not rain tomorrow.
I don't think it will rain tomorrow.

Is your camera this kind ?
Is your camera like this ?

His house was struck by thunder last night.
His house was struck by lightning last night.

My grandmother lived to eighty-five.
My grandmother lived to be eighty-five.

I have a lot of work to be done.
I have a lot of work to do.

To drink too much is bad for one's health.
Drinking too much is bad for one's health.

Today is hot.
It's hot today.

My father will be home today afternoon.
My father will be home this afternoon.

What is the total sum ?
How much does it come to ?

We changed our train at Woodland.
We changed trains at Woodland.

I traveled to Europe.
I made a trip to Europe.

I very like swimming.
I like swimming very much.

Wait for your turn, please.
Wait your turn, please.

What time is your watch.
What time is it by your watch.

I don't know what did he say.
I don't know what he said.


What do you feel now ?
How do you feel now?

What season do you like best ?
Which season do you like best ?


Welcome you to Taiwan.
Welcome to Taiwan.

Where is the capital of Australia.
What is the capital of Australia.

He has a wide shoulders.
He has a broad shoulders.

We enjoyed the cool wind.
We enjoyed the cool breeze.


I bought this book with 50 dollars.
I bought this book for 50 dollars.

He played all yesterday without working.
He played all yesterday instead of working.

Don't work too hard.
Yes, I won't
Don't work too hard.
All right, I won't

What will you do over the weekend ? I will play tennis with Tom on Sunday.
What are you going to do over the weekend ? I am going to play tennis with Tom on Sunday.


My father bought me a black small leather wallet yesterday.
My father bought me a small black leather wallet yesterday.

Most of the time, it is difficult for Sam in finishing his work on time.
Most of the time, it is difficult for Sam to finish his work on time.

These thugs are quite capable to do really hasty things.
These thugs are quite capable of doing really hasty things.

I very enjoyed it.
I really enjoyed it.

If you determine to make the grade in the entrance examination, you must work extra hard.
If you are determined to make the grade in the entrance examination, you must work extra hard.

Please handle this gold watch carefully. It worths more than five thousand dollars.
Please handle this gold watch carefully. It is worth more than five thousand dollars.

I ran into Maria yesterday morning. She looked healthily.
I ran into Maria yesterday morning. She looked healthy.

I am the only son in the family. I have not brothers.
I am the only son in the family. I have no brothers.

My borther has been busy in preparing for his final examination.
My brother has been busy preparing for his final examination.

As the citizens of Hong Kong, we are necessary to help the police in their fight against crime.
As the citizens of Hong Kong, it is necessary for us to help the police in their fight against crime.

The children were very dangerous as the knife-wielding madman was running amok in the kindergarten.
The children were in great danger as the knife-wielding madman was running amok in the kindergarten.

No comments: