Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Common Mistakes (1)

It's seven twenty o'clock. - INCORRECT SENTENCE
It's seven twenty. - CORRECT SENTENCE

Your coat is broken.
Your coat is torn.

Susan didn't make a fault anyway.
Susan didn't make a mistake anyway.


Would you mind posting this letter for me ? Yes, certainly.
Would you mind mailing this letter for me ? Of course not. OR ( Not at all )

He becomes better.
He got better.

We'll have a hearing test tomorrow.
We'll have a listening test tomorow.

I recommend you to take a long vation.
I recommend that you take a long vacation.

The last bus leaves at eleven o'clock. It's about eleven now, Hurry up!
The last bus leaves at eleven o'clock. It's nearly ( almost ) eleven now, Hurry up!

It was still bright outside.
It was still light outside.

Come to here
Come here.

Common students in US don't wear a uniform.
The average students in US don't wear a uniform.

Who cooked this salad ?
Who made this salad ?

Different from me, she is proficient in English.
Unlike me, she is proficient in English.

Little children are difficult to understand that.
It is difficult for children to understand that.

Don't step on the grass.
Keep off the grass.

I get my salary twice a month.
I get paid twice a month..

Would you like a drink ?
Would you like something to drink ?

Let me examine your pulse.
Let me feel your pulse.

I have no exercise talent.
I am not athletic.

Don't expect me too much.
Don't expect too much from (of ) me.

I know his face.
I know him by sight.

I forget my hat in the house.
I left my hat in the house.

Lend me some money, for instance 500 dollars, Lin.
Lend me some money, say 500 dollars, Lin.

I have a free time.
I am free.

The sun rises from the East.
The sun rises in the East.

The thief got in from the window.
The thief got in through the window.

Let's begin from page 10.
Let's begin at ( on ) page 10.

Did you attend college ?
Did you go to college ?

I wanted to go to Europe last summer, but it was too expensive so I gave up to go.
I wanted to go to Europe last summer, but it was too expensive so I gave up the idea.

I'll go there at three.
I'll be there at three.

I am going back my home.
I am going home.

His temperature went down.
His temperature came down.

I like green color.
I like green.

Today's newspapers has his articles on Taiwan.
Today's newspapers carries his articles on Taiwan.

Give me money, if you have.
Give me money, if you have any.

You'll have a cold if you sleep with your window open.
You'll catch a cold if you sleep with your window open.

Somebody's knocking on the door. Go and see who he is.
Somebody's knocking on the door. Go and see who it is.

The head office is in Taipei.
The main office is in Taipei.

He cannot read and write.
He cannot read or write.

Where is here.
Where are we.

How heavy are you ?
How much do you weigh ?

He was talking in a high voice.
He was talking loud.

Most Westerners have high noses.
Most Westerners have long noses.

Are you home tomorrow.
Are you at home tomorrow.

How does she look like ?
What does she look like ?

This is the way how I did it.
This is how I did it. or This is the way I did it.

How do you think about Taiwan.
What do you think about Taiwan.

How can I do ?
What can I do ?

" How long have you been in Taiwan ?"
" Six months "
" How about Chinese food ?"
" How long have you been in Taiwan ? "
" Six months "
" Do you like Chinese food ?"

No comments: